Front Elevation and Biographies
We had another meeting of the Campbeltown Picture House “Raiders of the Lost Archive” group today in the Community Business office at Hazelburn business park. Whilst Robin, the Project Archivist, carried on with collating the inventory that we had created for the archive content there were other things to be done.
The job of scanning on loan printed adverts from local Newspapers in the date range 1890 to 1930 was continued. The adverts relate both to the Picture House and the entertainments that were popular in town before the establishment of the permanent cinema. The content of the adverts is very interesting to read, with colourful entertainments and characters proving to be intriguing. We would like to find out more about the people and would welcome your help.
The creation of biographies for the original Picture House directors and early shareholders is progressing well. A ledger and shareholder certificates from the archive were the starting point for this particular project. Online genealogical sources have been useful, and we have been searching far and wide on the internet to gather details to flesh out the characters. Local newspaper microfilm records in Aquilibrium have revealed some heartfelt tributes on the passing of some of these people.
A highlight today was the arrival of the original 1912 plans for the Picture House. Beautifully drawn and hand coloured, they are signed by the architect.