|Biography File: People of Campbeltown Picture House|
|Full Name||William Mitchell McKersie|
|Maiden name / other names|
|Birth date||About 1844||Birth place: Campbeltown|
|Death date||1916||Death place: Campbeltown|
|Father’s full name||William McKersie|
|Mother’s full name|
(maiden name in brackets)
|Spouse(s)||Marion McCall, married 1881 Ayr. (see other notes)|
|Places of residence|
|Relationship with Picturehouse / Rex Cinema||William Mckersie was one of the original shareholders. He bought 50 shares in 1912.|
|Life story in a paragraph (summary of above)||William Mitchell McKersie was born into a Distillery family.|
His Father, also William, was a partner in Lochside Distillery, Longrow, Campbeltown before becoming the owner of Albyn Distillery, situated on The Roading, Campbeltown. The Albyn Distillery passed to his sons, William and John.
In 1867, William and his brother John bought another distillery, Lochruan located at Princess Street, Campbeltown which they rebuilt.
William and John, whilst running two distilleries together, seem to have been quite competitive. William had the architect H E Clifford design his villa “Craigard” at Low Askomil. John then employed the same architect and gave him the order that he build him a house like his brother’s, only better. This was the villa “Auchinlee” on High Askomil.
|Contact with family established (details)?|
|External source references (e.g. census, BMD, valuation rolls, probate index, wills, parish records etc.) include ref. numbers|
|CPH archive or object collection reference||Shareholders Ledger|
|Other notes||William’s son, Jack, served with Princess Louise’s Regiment of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.|
Two of his daughters, Marion and Jean operated a motorised field kitchen on the Italian Front.
William’s wife, Marion, was awarded the MBE for her services to the British Red Cross.
|Researcher||AB||Creation Date: June 2017|